Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Woods - a handmade book

Here is my latest handmade book. It is called "The Woods". The text reads:


“Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.”


It is a quote from American author, educator, and clergyman Henry van Dyke (1852–1933). I became familiar with it in the mid-1990’s when I was it was on a note card given to me by an acquaintance. Since then, the quote has been a favorite. I looked for a structure that would allow me to use both the quote and the beauty that I find in barren trees. I chose the star book because I wanted the trees to stand above the structure in a form that would evoke the idea of the woods.


Feel free to click on the photos for a closer look!

It lives in a portfolio made of mulberry paper. Here are a couple of more pics. Enjoy!








1 comment:

The Lorpols said...

Debbie,

Your books are amazing. You have so much talent! I LOVE the spoons and this tree book - such detailed work. Wow - I am so impressed.

Hugs,
Esther (Barry)